- TITLE: DIRECTOR OF YOUNG ADULT MINISTRIES
- ACCOUNTABILITY: To the Associate Pastor for Youth, Young Adult, and Young Family Ministries and to the Pastor as Head of Staff
- STATUS: Part Time (10 hours a week)
- FLSA: Non-exempt
Summary: The Director of Young Adult Ministries at Second Presbyterian Church is a part-time position that will be filled by an energetic and creative person who is committed to living a Christ-centered life. The Director should possess strong leadership and interpersonal skills necessary to equip and nurture Gospel-centered relationships with young adults and seek out opportunities to connect them to God, the church, each other, and the world. Passionate about young adult ministry, this person should embrace the excitement and vision set forth by the Holy Spirit through the Associate Pastor for Youth, Young Adult, and Young Family Ministries (DYYYM) and Second Presbyterian Church.
Key Job Responsibilities:
Leadership & Administration
- Work with the DYYYM to promote and maintain a cohesive and comprehensive ministry of Christian discipleship
- Be responsible for the planning, organizing, and coordination of young adult ministry in collaboration with lay leaders, ministry leadership team, and DYYYM
- Recruit and nurture volunteers in young adult ministry with DYYYM and ministry leadership team
- Assist in evaluating, planning, and implementation of young adult programming, events and retreats with the assistance of DYYYM and ministry leadership team
- Be a consistent presence in staff meeting and ministry meetings to hear feedback, provide updates on the ministry area, and collaborate with other staff and lay leaders
- Work with DYYYM to promote events, trips, and opportunities
- Work collegially and collaboratively with other church staff
Relationship Building/Pastoral Care
- Celebrate with young adults (birthdays, graduations, weddings, new jobs, and the many other ways congregants may invite you into their lives)
- Identify leadership opportunities and help make connections for young adults to be active participants in the full life of the congregation and community
- Find meaningful opportunities in the community to help build and strengthen relationships between young adults
- Engage in frequent personal communication with young adults
- Provide pastoral care for young adults in collaboration with the DYYYM and pastoral staff
- Maintain positive, healthy, and appropriate boundaries with young adults and other congregants at all times and act as a role model within the church and the community
- Actively reach out to young adults who are new to the church to welcome them and bring them into the life of the church
- Create opportunities to invite young adults from the community (young adults not currently active at the church) into a life of faith at Second Presbyterian
- Share the gospel of Jesus Christ with young adults through conversations, fellowship, and mission
- Assist DYYYM in providing faith development and training opportunities for teachers and volunteers
- Regularly attend worship and seek ways for young adults to engage actively in worship
- Possess a reformed theological understanding of scripture and knowledge base of Presbyterianism
Evaluation: Performance reviews will be conducted annually by the DYYYM, in consultation with the Pastor as Head of Staff.
- A committed faith in Jesus Christ and a commitment to Christ’s ministry through the Church
- Bachelor degree from an accredited college or university
- Prior church leadership experience
- The ability to maintain a somewhat flexible work schedule, working occasional nights and weekends (for events, gatherings, or meetings) and periodic travel on trips or retreats (agreed upon with the DYYYM)
- A proven aptitude and joy for helping people deepen their relationship with Christ and the community of faith
The mission for Young Adult Ministry is to create opportunities to connect young adults to God, the church, each other, and the world through fellowship, study, and outreach.
Young Adult Ministry at Second Presbyterian focuses on young adults in the 20s and 30s, primarily those without children.
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.