- TITLE: DIRECTOR OF Families with Young Children Ministries
- ACCOUNTABILITY: To the Associate Pastor for Youth, Young Adult, and Families with Young Children Ministries and to the Pastor as Head of Staff
- STATUS: Part Time (10 hours a week)
- FLSA: Non-exempt
Summary: The Director of Families with Young Children Ministries at Second Presbyterian Church is a part-time position that will be filled by an energetic and creative person who is committed to living a Christ-centered life. The Director should possess strong leadership and interpersonal skills necessary to equip and nurture Gospel-centered relationships with families with young children and seek out opportunities to connect them to God, the church, each other, and the world. Passionate about family ministry, this person should embrace the excitement and vision set forth by the Holy Spirit through the Associate Pastor for Youth, Young Adult, and Families with Young Children Ministries (APYYYM) and Second Presbyterian Church.
Key Job Responsibilities:
Leadership & Administration
- Work with the APYYYM to promote and maintain a cohesive and comprehensive ministry of Christian discipleship
- Be responsible for the planning, organizing, and coordination of Families with Young Children Ministry in collaboration with lay leaders, ministry leadership team, and APYYYM
- Recruit and nurture volunteers in Families with Young Children Ministry with APYYYM and ministry leadership team
- Assist in evaluating, planning, and implementation of young family programming, events, and retreats (sometimes for the whole family, and sometimes just for parents) with the assistance of APYYYM and ministry leadership team
- Be a consistent presence in staff meeting and ministry meetings to hear feedback, provide updates on the ministry area, and collaborate with other staff and lay leaders
- Work with APYYYM to promote events, retreats, and opportunities
- Work collegially and collaboratively with other church staff
Relationship Building/Pastoral Care
- Celebrate with young families (births, birthdays, baptisms, new jobs, and the many other ways congregants may invite you into their lives)
- Identify and offer opportunities for families to be active participants in the full life of the congregation and community
- Find meaningful opportunities within the church and in the community to help build and strengthen inter-family and intra-family relationships
- Engage in frequent personal communication with families
- Provide pastoral care for families in collaboration with the APYYYM and pastoral staff
- Maintain positive, healthy, and appropriate boundaries with parents, children, and other congregants at all times and act as a role model within the church and the community
- Actively reach out to families with young children who are new to the church to welcome them and bring them into the life of the church
- Create opportunities to invite families from the community (not currently active at the church) into a life of faith at Second Presbyterian
- Share the gospel of Jesus Christ with families through conversations, fellowship, and mission
- Assist APYYYM in providing faith development opportunities for families and/or parents, including during the Sunday School hour, and providing coordination and training opportunities for teachers and volunteers
- Regularly attend worship and seek ways for families to engage actively in worship
- Possess a reformed theological understanding of scripture and knowledge base of Presbyterianism
Evaluation: Performance reviews will be conducted annually by the APYYYM, in consultation with the Pastor as Head of Staff.
- A committed faith in Jesus Christ and a commitment to Christ’s ministry through the Church
- Bachelor degree from an accredited college or university
- Prior church leadership experience
- The ability to maintain a somewhat flexible work schedule, working occasional nights and weekends (for events, gatherings, or meetings) and periodic travel on trips or retreats (agreed upon with the APYYYM)
- A proven aptitude and joy for helping people deepen their relationship with Christ and the community of faith
The mission for Families with Young Children Ministry is to nurture the faith of the whole family through fellowship, outreach, and study opportunities.
Families with Young Children Ministry at Second Presbyterian focuses on families with young children, particularly families with infants through elementary-aged kids.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.